Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular and with good reason too: they are a great way of reaching and engaging with your audience. Content is evolving, no longer are we simply reading articles; videos, images, infographics, interactive and animated videos/infographics are emerging and changing the content landscape and the way we engage with our customers.
The beauty of creating a podcast is that they are relatively simply to do, as well as being affordable. For those that are camera shy they can be the perfect medium to get across your message and connect with your audience.
Tools to create Podcasts
In most cases, podcasts are more entertaining when there’s a conversation between at least two people. In some instances, you will be able to have the person in the same room, but it’s often likely that you won’t be able to talk face to face. Skype, which is extremely popular and free to use is a great starting point, enabling you to get a crisp clear conversation.
If you have a Mac, GarageBand can be a very useful tool for podcasting. You can use it for both recording the podcast and then editing it. You can take several takes, to make sure you get it perfect and add sound effects and jingles as well as record your interview either when it’s via Skype or in the same room.
Evaer can be used to easily record any Skype conversation. The tool is very easy to use and works very well at recording your conversations at high quality. It will also record in Stereo mode and it has some other useful features as well, such as the ability to record Skype video conversations.
Audacity is free software that can be downloaded for any platform (Mac, Windows, Linux). It’s a pretty good tool considering it’s free, and you can use it to both record your podcast and to edit if afterwards. You can either record the audio live or import the sound files and then start editing it and adding effects.
FeedForAll can be used to easily create, edit, manage and publish RSS feeds. RSS feeds are essential for distributing your podcast if you are planning to publish multiple episodes. You can also use it to create iTunes compatible podcasts. For Mac users, there is also a FeedForAll Mac version.
6. NCH Software
NCH Software offers some pretty cool audio recording software. RecordPad is a tool that allows general voice recording for Windows and Mac. SoundTap is an audio capture program that will record any audio playing through your computer. WavePad Audio Editor is a very useful tool that you can use to both record and edit audio on both Windows and Mac.
Promote your podcast
Once you have finished recording and editing your podcast, you need to promote it. As well as sharing across your social networks it’s worthwhile considering submitting your podcast to podcast directories to help amplify your reach.
There are several podcast directories where you can host your podcast – below are some of the most popular:
1. Podbean – you can use Podbean to easily publish your podcast, share it among your social media networks and even to sell your content, with no transaction fees.
2. PodcastDirectory – with over 10 million podcasts episodes, PodcastDirectory is one of the biggest podcast directories. Easily upload any audio and video podcasts.
3. Fluctu8 – can be used for publishing both audio and video podcasts. Their podcasts cover a variety of topics, from business, design to comedy and cooking.
4. Podcast Alley – they have a very extensive podcast selection. They cover various genres and also allow video podcasts.
5. Podomatic – a large directory where you can upload and discover other podcasts.
6. Pod feed – upload both videos and audio podcasts. They are currently hosting over 19,000 podcasts under a wide variety of categories.
7. Digital Podcast – as well as being able to upload your podcast they have a useful learning resources section from creating a podcast to getting podcast music.
8. Brit caster – is a UK-only podcasting directory and community.
9. Miro –browse and upload both audio and video podcasts.
10. PodcastBlaster – as well as a podcast directly, PodcastBlater also helps with podcasting software and equipment and let’s you generate your own podcasting feed.
11 Podseek – podcast directory and community forum.
There are so many great podcasts now available to download. Below are a few of our favourite business and social media podcasts.
Social Media Examiner hosts a very popular social media marketing podcast show. An insightful social media marketing podcast, which helps businesses with success stories and expert interviews from leading social media marketing pros.
Smart Passive Income, hosted by Pat Flynn has had over 10 million downloads making it one of the top ranking business podcasts in iTunes. Packed full of useful tips on online business and blogging strategies, together with marketing and income sources.
A daily podcast, which is aimed at entrepreneurs sharing their experiences and insights on how to start your own business as an entrepreneur. Provides useful advice on starting online and offline businesses, social media marketing and much more.
Hosted by Glenn Gaudet, Founder of GaggleAmp. This podcast is targeted towards marketing professionals who are using social media by providing insights and ideas from leading experts in social media and online marketing.
5. Money Box
Money Box with Paul Lewis is the most popular business podcast in the UK iTunes Store . Listen for top tips on everything money-related: investments, lending, pensions, banking and much more. This is a very useful podcast, not just for business people, but also for anyone who wants to learn more about money.
An insightful weekly podcast featuring the leading thinkers in business and management.
Have you created your own podcast yet? What are your favourite business podcasts? Let us know in your comments!
When Lilach isn’t working she enjoys spending time with her family and is an avid fan of Zumba.
Latest posts by Lilach Bullock (see all)
- Large Brands Need Several Social Media Management Tools Right? Wrong - February 18, 2016
- An insight into XOVI: the tool that gives you insights into SEO - December 17, 2015
- Social Media Analytics That Improve your ROI: Sotrender - November 11, 2015