I’m now finally back from #SMMW15 and still am buzzing from the event! A huge congratulations to Michael Stelzner and his team for putting on a great event which ran like clockwork.
#SMMW15 was packed full of inspiring and motivational speakers, in fact one could argue that there was too much choice and sessions available in the 3 days. Perhaps this is the only valid criticisms about Social Media Marketing World – trying to cram too much in a short period of time for too many people. Below is a snapshot of the most talked about speakers although to be fair I felt that all the keynote speakers and sessions I attended were great and of equal value :-D)
According to Cision Social Media Marketing World saw an incredible 71,039 social messages (with Twitter being the main player at 99%). The famous #SMMW15 hashtag was used a staggering 69,163 times!
Before I dive into a few key takeaways from the event I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people below. It was an absolute pleasure to be able to meet them in person, learn more about what they do and their businesses. I highly recommend you reach out and connect with them too!
Social Media Marketing World was packed full of tips, trends and interesting stats. There was so much to takeaway from #SMMW15, below (in no particular order) are a few of my favourites:
1. Google is changing its algorithms on April 21st… if your site isn’t mobile friendly it will be penalised
2. 2015 will be the year of native video. Could Facebook be a threat to YouTube?
3. Podcasting is becoming more popular once again and something marketers need to add to their content marketing mix
4. Only 42% of businesses know how to measure social media
5. By 2020 customer experience will overtake price as a key brand differentiator
6. Facebook’s organic reach continues to drop… it’s now at around 1-6% of your fans
7. 20% of adults have used their smart phones during sex!
8. People are 70% more likely to make a purchase based on a friend’s social media updates
9. When it comes to content, consistency is more important than frequency
10. Pinterest is becoming the new Google… 39% of Pinterest users will search for something on Pinterest before using Google
And, to end with, here are some top tweets from the conference:
— Jay Baer (@jaybaer) March 25, 2015
— Jay Baer (@jaybaer) March 27, 2015
— The Social CMO (@TheSocialCMO) March 28, 2015
— MyOfficebooks (@MyOfficeBooks) March 28, 2015
— Randy Everett (@opwhiz) March 28, 2015
— Peter Hopwood (@LibrisMedia) March 28, 2015
— Rebekah Radice (@RebekahRadice) March 27, 2015
— Naully Nicolas (@naullyn) March 27, 2015
— Gabe Villamizar (@gabevillamizar) March 27, 2015
— Terrah Warner (@TerrahWarner) March 27, 2015